Building a Better U
Building a Better U offers training courses to certification preparation, videos to jobs aids, and quick references to customized courses. Professional development just got easier with the help of our e-Learning System. There are now over 33,000 eBooks and videos that accompany over 6,000 FREE courses.
Our e-Learning System is accessed from the convenience of the computer and executed at a time and pace suitable for you. Building a Better U has courses covering professional development topics pertinent for everyone on campus. Building a Better U is a great tool for all Faculty and Staff to meet the Professional Development Policy, as well as getting students a step ahead for life after graduation.
Getting Started: How to access
- Log in to your MyGeorgiaSouthern.
- Click the e-Learning System link found in the MyServices box. If you have trouble accessing Building a Better U from this link, go to http://browser.skillport.com to check your flash, java and pop-up settings. For a detailed description of instructions go to our quick start guide.
- Click on the Catalog tab to browse courses. When browsing, highlight a folder and click on it to expand the selection topics.
- When you have the desired course highlighted, click on it for more details. On the details page, you will see three icons for quick action.
- The first icon is the Play button that will immediately launch the course.
- The second icon is the Add to MyPlan button that will then ask you for a goal and an optional due date if you would like to set one. By adding a course to your MyPlan, when you subsequently log in simply click on the MyPlan tab on the left side of the screen to access the course.
- The Job Aids/Skillbriefs button will immediately move the details page to the Job Aids and Skillbrief links. These links lead to quick reference materials without having to take the interactive class.
For more instruction, please view the Employee/Student User Guide
Faculty and Staff Compliance Courses are mandatory for all University employees. In order to maintain compliance with Federal, State, and University policies, all employees will pass each compliance training course on an annual basis. Human Resources will communicate the time parameters for annual completion. New hires will have two months from their start date to complete these courses. The courses and corresponding passing scores are:
- Sexual Harassment, Harassment, and Title IX (100%)
- University System of Georgia Ethics Training (80%)
- Drug Free Workplace (100%)
- Confidentiality Agreement (100%)
- Cyber Security Awareness (October)
Professional Development Tracks
These tracks are sets of courses grouped together to help improve skills and abilities in regards to the topic at hand. The tracks are designed to improve a broad spectrum of job functions and competencies.
- Customer Service Fundamentals
- Communication Skills
- Administrative Support Basics
- Administrative Support Technology Basics
- Level 1 Manager: Becoming a Manager
- Level 2 Manager: Management Essentials
- Level 3 Manager: Advanced Management Skills
- Leading a Successful Team
- Working with Difficult People
- Accounting & Financial Management Basics
- Interviewing and Hiring
- Recruiting and Retaining Talent
- Problem Solving and Decision Making Strategies
- Project Management
There are numerous Professional Certification Preparation Courses offered in Building a Better U. These courses ready the user to take professional certification exams. The Certification Programs include:
- American Society for Quality
- Six Sigma
- Manager of Quality/Organizational Effectiveness (CMQ/OE)
- Human Resource Certification Institute
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR)
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
- International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Projects in Controlled Environments (PRINCE2)
- ScrumAlliance (CSM)
- Information Systems Examination Board (ISEB)
- International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC)2
- Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
- Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Information Security Manager (CISM)
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS)
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- VMware Certified Professional
Take advantage of these free preparation programs that usually cost hundreds of dollars!
Associate Director of Human Resources
Jeffrey D Laws
Organization, Development and Learning Coordinator