Building a Better U
Building a Better U offers training courses to certification preparation, videos to jobs aids, and quick references to customized courses. Professional development just got easier with the help of our e-Learning System. There are now over 33,000 eBooks and videos that accompany over 6,000 FREE courses.
Our e-Learning System is accessed from the convenience of the computer and executed at a time and pace suitable for you. Building a Better U has courses covering professional development topics pertinent for everyone on campus. Building a Better U is a great tool for all Faculty and Staff to meet the Professional Development Policy, as well as getting students a step ahead for life after graduation.
Getting Started: How to access
- Log in to your MyGeorgiaSouthern.
- Click the e-Learning System link found in the MyServices box. If you have trouble accessing Building a Better U from this link, go to http://browser.skillport.com to check your flash, java and pop-up settings. For a detailed description of instructions go to our quick start guide.
- Once in the Building a Better U learning portal, you will see three very useful links locate near the top left: My Plan, Home, and Browse the Library. The My Plan link will show you the courses that have been assigned to you by an administrator or saved personally. The Home link will always lead you back to the Building a Better U portal homepage. The Browse the Library link will drop down a menu for you to choose a focal area, departmental training, or course series area of emphasis.
- To conduct a quick search for a topic, you can use the search bar in the top right corner of the page. This will return all pertinent results in course, book, and other resource formats.
Faculty and Staff Compliance Courses are mandatory for all University employees. In order to maintain compliance with Federal, State, and University policies, all employees will pass each compliance training course on an annual basis. Human Resources will communicate the time parameters for annual completion. New hires will have two months from their start date to complete these courses. The courses are:
- Legal and Ethical Standards – Passing score is 100%.
- University System of Georgia Ethics Code of Conduct
- Workers’ Compensation
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Drug Free Workplace Act
- ADA: Inclusion and Accommodation
- Workplace Safety – Passing score is 100%.
- Driver’s Safety
- Using an AED
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Cyber Security Awareness (Due December 31, 2015)
Professional Development Tracks
These tracks are sets of courses grouped together with a focus on improving a broad spectrum of job functions and competencies. These courses can be found under the Browse the Library link in the Course Series column. These courses can also be placed in any employee or group of employees’ My Plan for improvement in any of the following areas:
- Customer Service Fundamentals
- Communication Skills
- Administrative Support Basics
- Administrative Support Technology Basics
- Level 1 Manager: Becoming a Manager
- Level 2 Manager: Management Essentials
- Level 3 Manager: Advanced Management Skills
- Leading a Successful Team
- Working with Difficult People
- Accounting & Financial Management Basics
- Interviewing and Hiring
- Recruiting and Retaining Talent
- Problem Solving and Decision Making Strategies
- Project Management
If you are looking for skills or competencies not already covered, please call the ODL office to discuss your training goals. We can build a learning track to suit your needs!
There are numerous Professional Certification Preparation Courses offered in Building a Better U. These courses ready the user to take professional certification exams. The Certification Programs include:
- American Society for Quality
- Six Sigma
- Manager of Quality/Organizational Effectiveness (CMQ/OE)
- Human Resource Certification Institute
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR)
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
- International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Projects in Controlled Environments (PRINCE2)
- ScrumAlliance (CSM)
- Information Systems Examination Board (ISEB)
- International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC)2
- Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
- Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Information Security Manager (CISM)
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS)
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- VMware Certified Professional
Take advantage of these free preparation programs that usually cost hundreds of dollars!
Organizational Development and Learning Manager
Last updated: 3/2/2017