The Georgia Southern University Retirees Association includes nearly 2000 retirees from Georgia Southern and Armstrong State Universities prior to the consolidation of the two universities in 2018, along with employees retiring after the consolidation.
Georgia Southern currently includes three campuses: the home campus in Statesboro, the Armstrong campus in Savannah, and the Liberty campus in Hinesville.
The Georgia Southern University Retirees Association was established on April 20, 2016, as an association of the university’s retired employees. A Council was elected and went to work on organizing the new group and developing operating procedures.
The GSURA Council is active in maintaining updated information about issues of concern to retirees. The Association has a member representative for the Georgia Association of Higher Education Retirees Organizations (GA-HERO). Our representative participates in meetings of this network of college/university retiree organizations in Georgia and provides reports to the Council.
In addition, GSURA maintains membership in the national Association of Retiree Organizations in Higher Education (AROHE). A Council member is responsible for keeping up with news and providing reports to the Council.
A third organization to which GSURA maintains a connection is the University System of Georgia’s Retiree Council (USGRC), which has the responsibility of advising the Chancellor’s Office and the Board of Regents on issues of importance to retirees. Our GSURA Council member representative participates in the meetings of this group and reports to the Council. Of major interest always is health insurance.
With the assistance of our web mistress, reports from each of the above representatives will be posted on our website in a timely manner.
In addition, we maintains an informal relationship with GSU-Cares on campus. Information about GSU-Cares is available here.
Retirees are encouraged to take advantage of the benefits available to retirees. These include:
- Eagle ID Card
- Parking Pass for use on Campus
- GSU Email Account
- Use the Henderson Library on the Statesboro Campus and the Lane Library on the Armstrong campus, including Library Computers and Resources
- Reduced Membership Fee for the Recreation Activity Center (RAC) on the Statesboro Campus and the Armstrong Recreation Center in Savannah
- Reduced prices on Performing Arts Center (PAC) performances in Statesboro and the Fine Arts Center at the Armstrong campus
- Georgia Southern Cares Act Assistance
- Discounts on Purchases from University Bookstores
- Retiree Health Insurance through the AON Exchange
- Discounts Offer from variety of Businesses to all who possess a GSU Eagle Card
OneUSG Connect Benefits
- USG Retiree Benefits (Information in Health and Other Benefits for USG Retirees)
- USG Retirees Council (Association of Retirees for all USG Retirees – meets Fall & Spring)
- Georgia Southern Retirement Benefits Page
- GA-HERO (Retirees of both Public and Private Georgia Colleges and Universities)
- AROHE (Association of Retiree Organization in Higher Education)
- AON (Website to assist in Purchase of Health Insurance for USG Retirees)
The GSU Retirees Association welcomes contributions through the Georgia Southern University Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit tax-exempt organization,
https://advancement.georgiasouthern.edu/giving. The GSURA account number is #GS0008.